Sunday, September 8, 2013

Weight Loss Success Begins in Your Head

It's true, there are no Magic Bullets when it comes to weight loss. However, with the right combination of diet and exercise, you can make steady progress toward your goal.

First, make sure you realize that it doesn't matter where you start as long as you start. Simple math tells us that if we burn more calories than we consume, we will lose weight. This means you can begin your path to a healthier you by eating fewer calories, increasing your exercise level, or a little of both. In order to lose one pound you need to burn 3500 calories more than you consume. A healthy weight loss goal is slow and steady at only 1-2 pounds per week. So plan a deficit of around 3500-7000 calories per week, as anything over 2 pounds per week would not be considered healthy.

Second, lets consider a very important aspect in losing weight - what is your goal, your ambition? Without a reason to lose weight you will very likely lack the deep desire and drive that it will take to make a lifelong commitment to better health.

Having someone significant in your life that is concerned with your weight or possible poor health is a very good reason to begin a diet and exercise routine. Wanting to look great for a new guy or gal can also be a driving factor. Even just being sick and tired of being sick and tired can get you on your way to a healthier lifestyle. My point is, whatever your weight loss reason, make sure it is for You!

Don't get me wrong, having others around for support is always a wonderful idea. However, relying on outside forces to maintain your commitment to better health and weight loss won't keep your motivation up forever. You and only you will know and understand the struggle. You and only you will know the victory, the sweet victory of achieving your own personal goal.

Last, but certainly not least, let's take a few minutes and think about the psychological approach a little more in depth. Plenty of us can probably remember when we were thinner and healthier. What would you do differently today if you were thinner, healthier?

While this sounds like a fun question, it is worth some serious consideration. Would you be more outgoing if you felt better about yourself? We live in a very stereotypical world. Beautiful, healthy people are expected to act and behave a certain way. I can admit from personal experience that I felt justified in being shy and quiet when I was overweight. I didn't have to be outgoing because no one expected me to be, and by being shy I didn't have to worry about any possible rejection.

Basically, what I think all this brings me to is - Are You Afraid to be Fit and Healthy?

I found that by beginning to act as though I was in shape and feeling great about myself, it made getting that way so much easier. I also adopted the theory that my healthier lifestyle wasn't about weight loss. Whenever I would eat something fattening it wasn't making me fat, but more it was hurting my health.

Once you have your reason for losing weight and you have the right mindset for achieving that goal, your weight loss program will bring you far more success than you might imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment